Skip to main content

Amir recalled for T20I series against South Africa

Mohammad Amir returns to the T20I squad. — File
Mohammad Amir returns to the T20I squad. 
Fast bowler Mohammad Amir was recalled to the T20I roster on Saturday as the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) announced a 15-man squad for the upcoming 20-over series against South Africa.
Amir's inclusion in place of Waqas Maqsood was the only change to a dominant T20I side that whitewashed both Australia and New Zealand 3-0 late last year.
Meanwhile, Asif Ali and Sahibzada Farhan have reprised their positions in the T20I squad, and will link up with the team in Africa after not being picked for the Tests and the ongoing ODI series.
The hard-hitting Asif comes fresh from a successful stint in South Africa's Mzansi Super League where he scored 150 runs at a strike-rate of over 180 for the Cape Town Blitz. In a 16-match T20I career, Asif has scored 237 runs at a strike-rate of just under 140.
Farhan has scores of 0, 39 and one in his three T20I innings for Pakistan but boasts 452 runs in 22 career T20 matches at a strike-rate of under 110.
“Once again, the selectors have gone ahead with the policy of maintaining consistency and retaining a winning combination," said chief selector Inzamamul Haq.
“While our focus is very much on this year’s ICC Cricket World Cup, we cannot forget that the ICC T20 World Cup is in Australia in the second half of 2020. So, we need to give as much exposure and experience to our up and coming players as possible, but without compromising on the assignments in hand.”
Elsewhere, Imamul Haq, Mohammad Rizwan and Shan Masood will head back home following the conclusion of the ODI series, which South Africa currently lead 2-1.

Full squad:

  1. Sarfaraz Ahmed (captain, wicketkeeper)
  2. Asif Ali
  3. Babar Azam
  4. Faheem Ashraf
  5. Fakhar Zaman
  6. Hasan Ali
  7. Hussain Talat
  8. Imad Wasim
  9. Mohammad Amir
  10. Mohammad Hafeez
  11. Sahibzada Farhan
  12. Shadab Khan
  13. Shaheen Afridi
  14. Shoaib Malik
  15. Usman Shinwari

Match schedule

1 February – 1st T20I, Cape Town 3 February – 2nd T20I, Johannesburg 6 February – 3rd T20I, Centurion

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sarfraz apologises for 'black guy' comment

"My words were not directed towards anyone in particular and I certainly had no intention of upsetting anyone," says Sarfraz Ahmed. Pak­is­tan captain Sarfraz Ahmed apologised on Wednesday following a controversial comment aimed at South Africa’s Andile Phehlukwayo which was picked up by a stump microphone during the second one-day international in Durban on Tuesday. The incident occurred in the 37th over of South Africa’s run-chase during the game at Kingsmead when Phehlukwayo got an inside edge off a Shaheen Shah Afridi delivery that narrowly missed the stumps. As Phehlukwayo, who was on 50 at the time, ran to the non-striker’s end, Sarfraz was heard on the stump microphone saying in Urdu:  "Abey kaale, teri ammi aaj kahaan baitheen hain? Kya parwa ke aaye hai aaj?" When translated into English that means: "Hey black guy, where’s your mother sitting today? What [prayer] have you got her to say for you today?" The skipper tweeted...

Justice Asif Saeed Khosa sworn in as 26th Chief Justice of Pakistan

Prime Minister Imran Khan (L), President Arif Alvi (C) and Justice Asif Saeed Khan Khosa (R) at the oath-taking ceremony at Aiwan-i-Sadr. ─ Photo courtesy Imran Khan Instagram Prime Minister Imran Khan (L), President Arif Alvi (C) and Justice Asif Saeed Khan Khosa (R) at the oath-taking ceremony at Aiwan-i-Sadr. ─ Photo courtesy Government of Pakistan Twitter Prime Minister Imran Khan (L), President Arif Alvi (C) and Justice Asif Saeed Khan Khosa (R) at the oath-taking ceremony at Aiwan-i-Sadr. ─ Photo courtesy Imran Khan Instagram Justice Asif Saeed Khan Khosa took oath as the 26th Chief Justice of Pakistan at a ceremony at Aiwan-i-Sadr in Islamabad on Friday. Chief justice Khosa will serve as top judge for approximately 337 days and is scheduled to retire on Dec 21, 2019. President Arif Alvi administered oath to Justice Khosa before an audience of top government and military officials, Supreme Court judges, senior lawyers and dignitari...

Experts, images suggest a Saudi ballistic missile programme is in the works

Question remains where Saudi Arabia gained the technical know-how to build such a facility.  A military base deep inside Saudi Arabia appears to be testing and possibly manufacturing ballistic missiles, experts and satellite images suggest, evidence of the type of weapons programme it has long criticised its arch-rival Iran for possessing. Further raising the stakes for any such programme are comments by Saudi Arabia's powerful Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, who said last year that the  kingdom wouldn't hesitate to develop nuclear weapons  if Iran does. Ballistic missiles can carry nuclear warheads to targets thousands of kilometres away. Officials in Riyadh and the Saudi Embassy in Washington did not respond to requests for comment. Having such a programme could further strain relations with the United States, the kingdom's longtime security partner, at a time when ties already are being tested by the  killing of  Washington Post ...