Skip to main content

Malaysia scraps multi-billion dollar China-backed project


Incumbent Malaysian PM Mahathir Mohamad has ordered reviews of projects initiated during his predecessor Najib Razak's government. — File
Incumbent Malaysian PM Mahathir Mohamad has ordered reviews of projects initiated during his predecessor Najib Razak's government.
 
A multi-billion dollar China-backed rail project in Malaysia has been scrapped, government officials said on Saturday, adding that the cost of building it was too high.
Malaysia has in recent months suspended several major projects signed under the country's previous scandal-plagued regime, in a bid to cut the country's massive one trillion ringgit ($251 billion) debt.
Economics minister Azmin Ali said Malaysia made the decision two days ago on the 81 billion ringgit ($19.6 billion) east coast rail link (ECRL) that would have connected the eastern and western coasts of the peninsula.
“The cost of the ECRL development is too big, so we have no financial ability at this time,” he told reporters.
He said that if the project was not terminated, Malaysia would have to pay an annual 500 million ringgit interest payment.
Malaysia's previous government under Prime Minister Najib Razak had warm ties with China and signed up to a string of Beijing-funded projects.
But critics say many of these deals lacked transparency, fuelling speculation they were made in exchange for help in paying off debts from a massive financial scandal involving state fund 1MDB.
The scandal was a major factor in Najib's shock electoral defeat in May last year that saw his former boss Mahathir Mohamad return to power.
Mahathir then ordered a review of mega-projects signed by Najib during his nine-year rule, adding he would discuss “unfair” terms supposedly set in these deals and high interest rates levied on Chinese loans used to finance the projects.
Azmin did not say how much compensation Malaysia would have to pay for cancelling the project, adding it would be determined by the finance ministry.
Najib and his cronies were accused of plundering billions of dollars from 1MDB, with the former leader charged with corruption over the scandal.
He will stand trial over these charges in February, and has denied any wrongdoing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sarfraz apologises for 'black guy' comment

"My words were not directed towards anyone in particular and I certainly had no intention of upsetting anyone," says Sarfraz Ahmed. Pak­is­tan captain Sarfraz Ahmed apologised on Wednesday following a controversial comment aimed at South Africa’s Andile Phehlukwayo which was picked up by a stump microphone during the second one-day international in Durban on Tuesday. The incident occurred in the 37th over of South Africa’s run-chase during the game at Kingsmead when Phehlukwayo got an inside edge off a Shaheen Shah Afridi delivery that narrowly missed the stumps. As Phehlukwayo, who was on 50 at the time, ran to the non-striker’s end, Sarfraz was heard on the stump microphone saying in Urdu:  "Abey kaale, teri ammi aaj kahaan baitheen hain? Kya parwa ke aaye hai aaj?" When translated into English that means: "Hey black guy, where’s your mother sitting today? What [prayer] have you got her to say for you today?" The skipper tweeted...

Justice Asif Saeed Khosa sworn in as 26th Chief Justice of Pakistan

Prime Minister Imran Khan (L), President Arif Alvi (C) and Justice Asif Saeed Khan Khosa (R) at the oath-taking ceremony at Aiwan-i-Sadr. ─ Photo courtesy Imran Khan Instagram Prime Minister Imran Khan (L), President Arif Alvi (C) and Justice Asif Saeed Khan Khosa (R) at the oath-taking ceremony at Aiwan-i-Sadr. ─ Photo courtesy Government of Pakistan Twitter Prime Minister Imran Khan (L), President Arif Alvi (C) and Justice Asif Saeed Khan Khosa (R) at the oath-taking ceremony at Aiwan-i-Sadr. ─ Photo courtesy Imran Khan Instagram Justice Asif Saeed Khan Khosa took oath as the 26th Chief Justice of Pakistan at a ceremony at Aiwan-i-Sadr in Islamabad on Friday. Chief justice Khosa will serve as top judge for approximately 337 days and is scheduled to retire on Dec 21, 2019. President Arif Alvi administered oath to Justice Khosa before an audience of top government and military officials, Supreme Court judges, senior lawyers and dignitari...

Experts, images suggest a Saudi ballistic missile programme is in the works

Question remains where Saudi Arabia gained the technical know-how to build such a facility.  A military base deep inside Saudi Arabia appears to be testing and possibly manufacturing ballistic missiles, experts and satellite images suggest, evidence of the type of weapons programme it has long criticised its arch-rival Iran for possessing. Further raising the stakes for any such programme are comments by Saudi Arabia's powerful Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, who said last year that the  kingdom wouldn't hesitate to develop nuclear weapons  if Iran does. Ballistic missiles can carry nuclear warheads to targets thousands of kilometres away. Officials in Riyadh and the Saudi Embassy in Washington did not respond to requests for comment. Having such a programme could further strain relations with the United States, the kingdom's longtime security partner, at a time when ties already are being tested by the  killing of  Washington Post ...